Saturday, July 25, 2015

My Apocalypse

CC Jean Stimmell
The Apocalypse is what I’ve named my photograph, taken at Fort Foster in Maine back on October of 2011

Looking up the word apocalypse just now, I discover that its original meaning in Greek is “uncovering.” Wikipedia goes on to say that this uncovering is a disclosure of knowledge, i.e., a lifting of the veil or revelation that can be received through either a dream or vision.

My revelation was a pure vision provoked by Gaia lifting her veil in an atmospheric display so beyond the pale that it rocked my entire being, right down to my shaking knees: an ecstatic feeling of awe at becoming – for that brief instant– one with all, merging with Her swirling, eternal dance of creation.

 My vision was indeed pure, uncontaminated by the newer meaning of “apocalypse” which has come to haunt us thanks to John’s revelation in the Bible: his moralistic prediction of the ultimate victory of good over evil which can only happen when the world ends. 


Unfortunately, John’s revelation of the end time, spooky as it is, may well come to pass for us humans and many of our fellow living beings as a result of our attempt to play God, resulting in catastrophic climate change.

No comments: