Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Serpents always lurking just below our consciousness

Serpent lurking at Sewells Falls: 8/10/14
CC Jean Stimmell
As documented in the histories of cultures all over the world, the serpent is always lurking just below the surface of human consciousness – as I became aware of at Sewells Falls two weeks ago. To Jung, snakes are a powerful archetype with both positive and negative aspects. He talks about the symbolism or snakes and serpents in the The Red Book:

“The serpent is an adversary and a symbol of enmity, but also a wise bridge that connects right and left through longing, much needed by our life.” (247)

“Why did I behave as if that serpent were my soul?  Only, it seems, because my soul was a serpent….Serpents are wise, and I wanted my serpent soul to communicate her wisdom to me.” (318)[i]  




[i] http://kellybulkeley.org/snakes-dreams-jungs-red-book/

No comments: