Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Dream: Nun in Shining Armor

Nun in Shining Armor: 4/15/13
CC Jean Stimmell
I dreamed last night that I am wandering in a dark cave without beginning or end.  Empty, feeling neither sorrow or joy, I stumble upon what appears to be a statue bathed in light, perhaps a knight in shining armor. But, coming closer, I see a Buddhist nun, tears streaming down her face, cradling her dead baby.  In her grief, she is majestic: fiercer than any warrior, more authentic than the Buddha. 

During my dream I fully aware that I am receiving an important message but, despite my best efforts, I can not pull together the various threads to interpret what it means. Looking back on it in the light of day, I see the nun as my guide, sent to lead me to the gate of real faith: that flesh-and-blood imperative, that ultimate attachment that lifts us out of void and makes us truly human: passion, resiliency, and love.

1 comment:

Kelly Roberts said...

When in Rome –

When in Rome:
La Pieta, one of Michelangelo’s most intriguing masterpieces, depicts the sorrowful Virgin Mary cradling her dead son. While I tend to lean towards extracting more literal interpretations of the powerful imagery in your dream, maybe the proverbial “Mother of Sorrows” is as old as time itself?