Thursday, August 16, 2012

Photography: A Way of Meditation

12'  tall Russian Mammoth Sunflower in our garden: 7/30/12*

The following enlightening quote is by Roshi Joan Halifax 

"As I lived with the camera, the camera was not only my eyes but also my heart. It captured and held light, light that I was always seeking and finding, light that filled the world, even the world of suffering, when light shines through the darkness.

"When I was in my twenties, I discovered meditation... 

"I could also see the world in a different way, a way the camera had taught me. The camera had given me a view, a view that accepted everything into its lens. I had a viewfinder (meditation), and a way to develop the world of action. View, meditation, action are one way that Buddhism is described."

Roshi Joan Halifax is a Buddhist teacher, anthropologist, author, and activist.  Click here to see her work and learn more about her.


* It's really true: the sunflowers are 12 feet tall!
Standing tall amidst the sunflowers with my scarecow

No comments: