Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cabin Fever: Trapped, Frozen in Time

Back in February of 2012, I wrote in my blog about the unseasonable warm weather, calling it "the winter that wasn't." As you can see below, for some deluded reason, I thought I was suffering from cabin fever: 
February 7th of 2012 from our N.H. winter that wasn't
The ice is unseasonably thawing at the edge of Jenness Pond
re-freezing each night only to be pushed up the next day
from the heat of the sun and expansion of the ice pack
forming shifting structures that look like
turtles run over by a 10-wheeler
or houses after an earthquake
to my cabin-fevered mind.
------------------------------------

Unfortunately, two years later, in February of 2014, we have all been rudely reintroduced  to what cabin fever really is!!!  In the first 20 days of February '14 alone, we have been hit with 8 storms, dumping three feet of snow on us, on top of what we already had.

This photo I took on snowshoes of the back of our house two days ago, during yet another storm, expresses the true essence of cabin fever: the monotone melancholy and sense of being trapped, frozen in time:

No comments: